NetGear Routers and DNS
I have a WGR614 Netgear WiFi NAT/router. Some DNS queries against my domain were failing:
Other domains that I hosted had similar problems. At first the behavior was erratic, but that was mostly a matter of not using the "@" option and seeing irregular caching effects from different machines. That is, most external email kept working, but some started failing.
I'm not clear on why it works this way, but apparently there is more outgoing
UDP traffic on the second-level lookup. For some reason the NetGear blocks
this outgoing traffic, but passes that for the third-level domain
request. I could not succeed in getting a "port trigger" for
port 53 to solve the problem. Instead that blocked original outgoing DNS
PATH compressionMultiple shell scripts for setting up environment variables under different situations often leaves the PATH variable with duplicate entries, possibly overflowing the limit, and certainly becoming distracting. The following Perl script wrapped up as an alias reduces the PATH variable to unique instances, e.g.
It can be invoked as:
To keep GUI tasks (e.g. email and browser) responsive while running compute bound tasks, launch a cmd.exe shell in low priority mode and then all apps launched from it will be low priority (idle), and not distract noticeably from foreground tasks. This can be accomplished by creating a cmd.exe shortcut with the following start-up command:
%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /c start /low /b
To get windows to complete filenames with the tab key, add the following to the registry
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor] "CompletionChar"=dword:00000009
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor] "CompletionChar"=dword:00000009
TiVo upgrade experiences
How to upgrade your TiVo is covered many places (example). Here are my experiences with what can go wrong.
First TiVo upgrade: A Series 1 Philips DirecTiVo (model # no longer available), built circa 2001. This unit had space for two drives. I applied BlessTivo to a new drive and installed it. All went well. But, 18 months later, the unit failed completely. There was no video output at all, nor any sign that it was booting. I suspected the second drive had finally ruined the power supply. But, I could hear the drive spinning up (I think). It never started stepping though, so it was not even trying to boot.
Second TiVo upgrade: A Series 1 RCA Direct TiVo. I was expecting to add another drive, but upon opening it there was no
slot to hold a second drive. It was a standard sized case (like the
Philips). It might have been possible to modify the bracket in the RCA and mount both drives on top of each other, but I didn't do that. Instead, I used ''dd" to backup the 40G Fireball to a 250G
drive. The Linux boot only recognized 127G as expected. "
Third TiVo upgrade: Another Series 1 RCA Direct TiVo, model DVR-40 (replacing
the dead Philips). The
internal arrangement was the same as the previous one. This time, I used
Linux (Red Hat) server
SQLgrey is a greylisting engine or the postfix MTA. The installation instructions on the web page were inadequate and the ones in the download were scattered about. Here is my summary to help other people running their own linux servers:
Spamassassin AWL failure on spammers spoofing From: address
Spammers spoof the from domain in the SMTP
conversation (thus making the Received: line wrong) and the From: address in
the header so as to trick Spamasassin's AWL test into thinking the email came
from yourself. This either lets spam through or (with a high AWL) causes
self email to not get through.
Received: from kelvinist.com (24-119-134-60.cpe.cableone.net [220.127.116.11]) X-Mail-Format-Warning: Bad RFC2822 header formatting in by kelvinist.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id D991441C7 From: "kevin" <email@example.com> To: <firstname.lastname@example.org> Subject: Come as much as a pr0n star! upto 500% more! X-Spam-Status: No, hits=-0.4 required=5.1 tests=AWL,BANG_MORE,BAYES_70, HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG,MANY_EXCLAMATIONS,MIME_HTML_ONLY, NORMAL_HTTP_TO_IP,UPPERCASE_2_50 autolearn=no version=2.60-rc5 X-Spam-Report: * -6.5 AWL AWL: Auto-whitelist adjustmentUsing the "E" flag in procmail offers a way around this by selectively disabling AWL for self mail:
:0fw * ^From:.*email@example.com | spamassassin :0 fwE * < 256000 | spamassassin -a
Ideas that did not work.
Attempting to solve the problem with a spamassassin rule that looks for the comment (quoted named) part of the From: address:
header SPOOFING_FROM From =~ /^\s*"?[a-df-zA-DF-Z].*_myname_\@kelvinist.com/ describe SPOOFING_FROM Attempt to spoof the from address to be me. score SPOOFING_FROM 6.0did not work. This interferes with the subsequent AWL calculation by boosting the positive AWL for my own mail for every spam that is received (or vice-versa, letting spam thru because self mail lowers the AWL). The "whitelist" command doesn't help, because that just subtracts 100 for real spam and my own loopback, leaving them the same relatively. Removing one's own email from the AWL only works temporarily. Permanently removing it via:
:0fw * < 256000 | spamassassin --firstname.lastname@example.org -a
does not work either because this prints a status message in the output stream, which ends up in /var/spool/mail/_name_. That prevents POP from working.